Since 2008, Ali “Ari” has led the Firm’s efforts in corporate and litigation matters, including complex matters before the United States District Court for the Northern District of California (San Francisco), United States District Court for the Central District of California (Los Angeles), United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and in California state courts, where he was first admitted to practice law.
In addition to founding the Firm, he has held positions with the law firm of Wilmer, Cutler, Pickering, Hale and Dorr LLP, the United States Congress House of Representatives, Committee on Energy and Commerce, and various technology companies.
His law practice is primarily dedicated to corporate, litigation, transactional, and dispute resolution services, including going to trial. Cases that he handles often involve breach of contract, unfair business practices, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, patent, consumer, technology, and public interest matters.
In addition, his practice includes serving as general counsel on corporate, IP, and transactional matters. His vision for efficient, effective legal strategy has continued to garner client praise.
A sampling of his experience, includes the following:
- Lead trial counsel. Prevailing Party. Breach of contract trial, held before the Hon. Ronald E. Quidachay, of the Superior Court, County of San Francisco. The Firm’s client awarded costs and attorney’s fees, as the prevailing party in the matter.
- Lead trial counsel. Prevailing Party. Unfair business practices trial, held before the Hon. Sean P. Dowling. The trial court entered judgment in favor of the Firm’s client finding that Defendants’ corporate officers and directors’ business practices violated California Business and Professions Code § 17200 in their individual personal capacities, separate and apart from the corporation. Attorney’s fees and costs awarded to the client.
- Lead trial counsel. Patent Litigation, defense of, based on claims of infringement of visual voice mail technology, in Klausner Technologies, Inc. v. Halloo Communications, Inc., Case No. 6:12-cv-00174-LED (U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas).
- Lead trial counsel. Patent litigation, defense of, based on claims of infringement of USB memory stick technology, in Imation v. Sanho Corporation, Case No. 15-cv-01883 (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota).
- Corporate Governance. General Counsel for California Institute of Computer Assisted Surgery, Inc., Doctorbase, Inc., etc. Overseeing corporate governance, stock transactions, mergers, acquisitions, licensing, employment matters, financings, intellectual property and contracts.
- Lead trial counsel. Unfair business practices and antitrust. Class action representation for plaintiffs.
- Lead trial counsel. Unfair business practices and personal injury. Lead counsel for plaintiff against bad faith insurers.
- Lead trial counsel. Employment litigation. Firm represented plaintiff-employee for wrongful termination (discrimination based on race and ethnicity, religion) in the Superior Court of State of California, County of San Francisco, involving claims for, inter alia, wrongful termination and violation of the Unfair Competition Law, California Business and Professions Code § 17200.
- Lead trial counsel. Representation of plaintiff for wrongful termination and discrimination based on pregnancy, gender and sex in Superior Court of State of California, County of San Francisco. Case settled for Firm’s client on confidential terms.
- Lead trial counsel. Defense of small business in claims under California Labor Code. Case resolved quickly in favor of Firm’s client in less than a year, with no concession of liability.
- Appellate Litigation. Successful affirmance of trial court’s decision, before three-judge appeals panel before the Sixth District Court of Appeals, affirming ruling on First Amendment, free speech, defamation, and constitutional law issues.
- Lead trial counsel. Representation of defendant, the CEO of the company, in 3-week jury trial, before the Hon. Sean P. Dowling in the Superior Court of California. The Firm won dismissal of the plaintiff’s main claims, via directed verdict motion, before case submitted to jury.
- Lead trial counsel. Representation on behalf of plaintiff-patentee in litigation styled as California Institute of Computer Assisted Surgery, Inc. v. Med-Surgical Services, Inc. et al. Patent and technology litigation based on IP portfolio consisting of methods and apparatuses for robotic surgery and medical applications.
- Co-Lead trial counsel. Representation of Plaintiff in patent litigation, in Lung Sheng Ind. Co., Ltd., v. Spyder, Inc. et al., Case No. 4:11-cv-02036 (U.S. District Court, Central District of California).
- Co-Lead trial counsel. Representation of defendant in patent litigation in Asyst Tech., LLC et al. v. Eagle Eyes Traffic Ind. Co., Ltd et al., (U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin).
- Lead trial counsel. Representation of defendant in patent litigation in USB Technologies v. Sanho (U.S. District Court, Central District of California, Los Angeles).
- Lead trial counsel. Representation of plaintiff in breach of contract action. San Francisco Superior Court.
Ali graduated from Suffolk University Law School (J.D.) in Boston, Massachusetts, where he was a member of the Suffolk University Law Review.
In 2007, Ali’s article relating to disability accommodations under the federal law known as the Americans With Disabilities Act, was published in Volume 40, No. 2 (March 21, 2007) of the Suffolk University Law Review. The publication has been cited numerous times by other legal journals and publications.
He holds a B.A. in Political Science from Boston University. Other than work, he enjoys spending time with his family.