Ali Ari Aalaei leads the Firm’s corporate and litigation efforts including complex matters in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California (San Francisco & San Jose), U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (Los Angeles), the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and in California state courts where he was first admitted to practice law.
Ali’s diverse background and experience contribute to his ability to connect with the jury, and he has a special appreciation of the privilege of practicing law.
In addition to founding the Firm, he has held positions with the United States Congress House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce, the City of Boston Law Department, various technology companies, and the law firm of Wilmer, Cutler, Pickering, Hale and Dorr LLP.
His practice is primarily dedicated to corporate and dispute resolution services, including providing counsel on commercial law matters and going to trial. Cases that he handles often involve contracts, business organizations, unfair business practices, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, patent, technology, transactions, real estate, and public interest matters.
A sampling of his experience, includes the following:
- Lead trial counsel. Prevailing Party. Obtained unanimous jury verdict for breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract against corporate defendants, including establishing personal liability against the defendants. Trial held before the Los Angeles Superior Court (2019, Hon. Robert Draper).
- Lead trial counsel. Prevailing Party. Judgment for fraud and punitive damages (2018), including personal liability against defendants. Trial held before the Santa Clara Superior Court (Hon. Carrie A. Zepeda).
- Lead trial counsel. Prevailing Party. Breach of contract, unfair business practices, and intentional interference with economic advantage, verdict in favor of client after jury trial, held before the Hon. Gail Dekreon of the Superior Court, County of San Francisco (2018). The Firm obtained a jury verdict for the client in the amount of $2,482,000 plus costs and attorney’s fees, as the prevailing party in the case, including establishing personal liability against defendants.
- Lead trial counsel. Confidential v. Confidential, San Francisco County, Settlement of Landlord-Tenant Liability Lawsuit, $1,325,000.
- Lead trial counsel. Prevailing Party. Breach of contract trial, held before the Hon. Ronald E. Quidachay, of the Superior Court, County of San Francisco (2009). The Firm’s client awarded costs and attorney’s fees, as the prevailing party in the matter.
- Lead trial counsel. Prevailing Party. Unfair business practices trial, held before the Hon. Sean P. Dowling. The trial court entered judgment in favor of the Firm’s client finding that Defendants’ corporate officers and directors’ business practices violated California Business and Professions Code § 17200 in their individual personal capacities, separate and apart from the corporation. Attorney’s fees and costs awarded to the client.
- Lead trial counsel. Patent Litigation, defense of, based on claims of infringement of visual voice mail technology, in Klausner Technologies, Inc. v. Halloo Communications, Inc., Case No. 6:12-cv-00174-LED (U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas).
- Lead trial counsel. Patent litigation, defense of, based on claims of infringement of USB memory stick technology, in Imation v. Sanho Corporation, Case No. 15-cv-01883 (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota).
- Corporate Governance. General Counsel for California Institute of Computer Assisted Surgery, Inc., Doctorbase, Inc., etc. Overseeing corporate governance, stock transactions, mergers, acquisitions, licensing, employment matters, financings, intellectual property and contracts.
- Lead trial counsel. Unfair business practices and antitrust. Class action representation for plaintiffs.
- Lead trial counsel. Unfair business practices and personal injury. Lead counsel for plaintiff against bad faith insurers.
- Lead trial counsel. Employment litigation. Representation of plaintiff-employee for wrongful termination (discrimination based on race and ethnicity, religion) in the Superior Court of State of California, County of San Francisco, involving claims for, inter alia, wrongful termination and violation of the Unfair Competition Law, California Business and Professions Code § 17200.
- Lead trial counsel. Representation of plaintiff for wrongful termination and discrimination based on gender, in Superior Court of State of California, County of San Francisco. Case settled for Firm’s client on confidential terms.
- Lead trial counsel. Defense of small business in claims under California Labor Code. Case resolved quickly in favor of Firm’s client in less than a year, with no concession of liability.
- Appellate Litigation. Successful affirmance of trial court’s decision, before three-judge appeals panel before the Sixth District Court of Appeals, affirming ruling on First Amendment, free speech, defamation, and constitutional law issues.
- Lead trial counsel. Representation of defendant, the CEO of the company, in 3-week jury trial, before the Hon. Sean P. Dowling in the Superior Court of California. The Firm won dismissal of the plaintiff’s main claims, via directed verdict motion, before case submitted to jury.
- Lead trial counsel. Representation on behalf of plaintiff-patentee in litigation styled as California Institute of Computer Assisted Surgery, Inc. v. Med-Surgical Services, Inc. et al. Patent and technology litigation based on IP portfolio consisting of methods and apparatuses for robotic surgery and medical applications.
- Representation of Plaintiff in patent litigation, in Lung Sheng Ind. Co., Ltd., v. Spyder, Inc. et al., Case No. 4:11-cv-02036 (U.S. District Court, Central District of California).
- Representation of defendant in patent litigation in Asyst Tech., LLC et al. v. Eagle Eyes Traffic Ind. Co., Ltd et al., (U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin).
- Lead trial counsel. Representation of defendant in patent litigation in USB Technologies v. Sanho (U.S. District Court, Central District of California, Los Angeles).
- Lead trial counsel. Representation of defendant employer in response to Labor Code violation claims.
- Lead trial counsel. Representation of plaintiff in breach of contract action, judgment obtained. San Francisco Superior Court (2009).
From the courtroom to the boardroom, for more than ten years, ARI has faithfully served clients throughout California.
Ali obtained his law degree from Suffolk University Law School (J.D.) in Boston, MA, where he was a member of the Suffolk University Law Review.
He holds a bachelor of arts in Political Science from the College of Arts and Sciences at Boston University, in Boston, MA.