Here are some quick tips from the California Bar Website to build a successful attorney-client team:
- Make sure you and your lawyer have the same goals.
- Make sure you understand and are comfortable with the lawyers working style. Get a clear picture of the expected timetable in your case when you can expect significant developments, and when and how often the lawyer intends to contact you.
- Make sure you provide the lawyer with the information and documents necessary to understand your case.
- Make sure you understand and agree with the lawyers billing practices.
- If you have questions or concerns about your legal matter, you express them to the lawyer and listen to his or her responses.
- Make sure you raise questions about your bill in a timely manner. If appropriate, submit your questions to the lawyer in writing.
These simple tips should help you develop a positive, productive working relationship with your lawyer.